'Quick Tips' Safety Sheet
by Martha Burns
- If you can't swim, don't jump into the water
- Treading water does not save your life
- Always swim with a buddy — never swim alone
- Never pretend that you need help because others...
...learn to ignore your fake 'cries for help'
- It only takes enough water to cover your nose to drowned. 1/2" is all it takes
- Children should be supervised at all times
- Life Guards do not save your life... they help locate you in the water
- It is a lack of knowledge that causes problems in water
- Water is an inexpensive way to have fun and stay healthy!
- Floatation devices will keep you safe.
Benefits of Swimming:
- It is easy to do
- It puts very little stress on your joints
- Water is more dense than air, and provides for an aerobic workout
- Great sport & activity
- Exercises your whole body... head + arms + hands + legs + tummy
- Keeps you healthy & fit
- It is a year-round sport!
Did you know...
...that about 50% of Americans do NOT know how to swim?
...that drowning is a silent killer that happens in pools, lakes, bath tubs and even mud puddles if you aren't careful.
Swimming safely will provide you years of joy, if you use good judgment!